WELCOME

Welcome to my blog. I never intended to use one of these but my brother has persuaded me to start one up. So I hope the thoughts which I convey to you will have some sort of impact or meaning as I share my feelings. Feel free to comment.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Purpose

So, much has happened since the last time I posted on here...but here's the long and short of it. I left for college. This included lots of packing, preparation, and sadly, saying bye to friends and family. But looking back on it, I can just remember the great people I grew up with and the awesome friendships I made throughout the years. Of course I am going to miss all of them, but I know I see will them again. As my pastor put it, "Either on this side of glory or the next." I think they all know who they are, but I love you guys...so much. I honestly hope that has been apparent, and I have been praying for each of you while I have been away (and will continue to do so).

But aside from the mushy stuff, I was able to visit my brother (and others ;) at Master's this weekend and go to a good friend (Geoff) of mine's church called the Lighthouse Bible Church. Since, it was Labor Day Weekend, Pastor Roger talked about work and what that means for us as believers in Christ. Basically, no matter who you are...you work. Whether a hard working stay-at-home mom (or dad), or an accountant, or a student, you undoubtedly work towards some sort of goals which have been set for your day, week, month, or year (maybe even more, you must really think ahead). If you are a stay-at-home parent, one of your goals may be to have a kid poddy trained at the end of the week (the only thing that scares me from becoming a father). If you are an accountant, your goal may be to finish some sort of budget for some crazy high end corporation who has the power to buy love (oh wait, only Ben can do that). Or if you're a student, you may just be trying to finish out your first year with straight A's! The point is, we all set goals. They are what motivates us to get up in the morning and what gets us tired at the end of the day. Goals seem to be the things that give structure and meaning to our lives while giving a sense of accomplishment as we complete short term goals along the way. We build confidence as we end the day knowing we did what was expected of us and it grows with every accomplished day. As this process goes on, the continual "piling" of goals on top of one another, we get some longer term goals done and it goes on and on and on and on and on. But what's the point? (oh it must be practical application time!)

It's quite simple, purpose. When it boils down to the bare bones of life, the reason we live is purpose. But the goals we make here on earth are of a finite nature, considering we are finite beings. Eventually, the glories of earthly accomplishment fade and you are left with nothing. This is true of those without Christ in their lives (don't mean to sound mean but seriously, you're missin out). I really don't think one can truly enjoy life without realizing that they don't own themselves. The reason people are left empty handed in the end is because they are trying to make the purpose reflect their own personal achievements and accomplishments. My question is why work so hard for something that won't last? Why pour all of yourself into something finite? What should be asked is this. Why wouldn't you work for something that will last forever? Why wouldn't you pour all of yourself into someone who cared enough to die for you? We need to start realizing that it is Christ who lives within us, we were bought at a price, and that we are working for rewards far greater than this world can offer. We have a purpose. We have Christ. Do work.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20- 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Colossians 3:23-24-23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Galatians 2:20- 20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment